Friday, October 1, 2010

Baby bliss

I have held him too long. He is falling back to sleep in my arms. I can hear his breath becoming long and smooth. His warm body shudders and lightly jerks as sleep descends. I should get up from the rocking chair and put him in his bed, but his little hand on my wrist is too soft and warm to part with yet. Finally, I gently lay him back in his crib and slip out of the room.

I am awake long before the rooster crows, before the rest of my family stirs, but today I do not mind. I am taken in by baby bliss. I know these moments are fleeting. My two daughters show me that. So, against all the books and websites and experts that tell me to do otherwise, I'll hold my baby boy too long again tonight. Embracing his sweetness and the rare, pure gift of love that motherhood gives long before the sun rises.

12 comments:

  1. AWW! That is so beautiful and so sweet. And also so unbelievably true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... I love this!

    Thanks for commenting on my Mom Bloggers Club profile. Love your blog.

    Man, my baby girl is only 3, but I miss thee exact moments when I could hold her clothes and breathe in that awesome baby scent. *tear*

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son is all grown up now for many years, but I well remember those nights of holding him when he was an infant. I'd hold him and just watch him sleep. Precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... That's beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so true! I have 2 under 2 (for a few more days anyway) and I find myself snuggling them both as much as I can! If we all listened to books all the time, we'd lose all the simple pleasures in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. screw the books and the "experts". you're a loving mom and moments like these are what shape our kids into loving adults. these moments are fleeting, enjoy them and hold them close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely Beautiful! That's an authentic feeling shared brilliantly with your readers!
    I'll never forget those moments. Those are the moments that will stay with you forever! You can never hold your baby to much.
    ~Carol
    http://www.intentionalconsciousparenting.com
    http://www.creatorscreatures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, ladies! Carol, I love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always follow your instinct. Throw the books in the garbage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so sweet. I used to love rocking my son to sleep & those memories are some of my most special ones I have. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My fourth and last (i think) is 15 months, and I love how he is such a cuddler because I know it won't last much longer. So I can totally relate to your post. So sweet! Found your blog through BlogFrog! I'd love for you to stop by mine: www.cupcakecuppy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Go on, tell me what you think!