Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Planet Laundry

I used to only do laundry on Mondays. Domestic Duty Day. I could clean the house and do all the laundry in just one day. For years I've been hanging on to the idea of Domestic Mondays. Baby one came along and we noticed an increase in laundry, but Mondays were still fine. Baby two, more laundry. I could get it all washed on Monday, but inevitably a basket or two would sit around for a few days. Baby three. Wow! There's a lot of laundry! An idea that my husband has been mentioning for at least a year filtered through my thick skull today... every day is laundry day with three kids.

I really hate laundry, so this realization makes me very sad. I do not want to do laundry every day. Sometimes I'll watch guilty pleasure shows like Desperate Housewives while hanging and folding, which eases the pain, but most often if the tv is on the children come 'round, so off it stays.

How does a domestic goddess stay motivated? It should be intrinsic for a true domestic goddess, but it isn't for me. It can be learned! There's a book that helps...  check it out to the left. I love it!

A final question: Why is it that men seem to completely forget how household appliances work after they get married? (A wonderful exception to this is the stove and oven, of which my husband makes tantalizing use).

4 comments:

  1. I'm on baby 1 and yes, laundry dramatically increased! I find myself doing the laundry 2x a week when it used to be once every 2 weeks before the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyday is laundry day even with just one baby. My little one is 2 but what with her and her dad we seem to having the washing machine on permanently! Great blog by the way - found you from Mom bloggers. If you have 5 minutes take a look at mine www.competitivemum.blogspot.com we both seem to be striving for perfection! CM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laundry and dishes seem to loom over everyday of a mom...LOL I haven't figured out how to get out of either one yet! This would make a good business...'we will do your laundry for you' :o)

    I am your newest Follower, hope you can stop by for a visit!

    Thanks, Becky Jane
    Raising kids can be a lot like weeding the rose bed...well worth it, but...OUCH!
    http://myelevenreasons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Becky Jane and Competitive mum! I appreciate the comments and am headed your way now...

    ReplyDelete

Go on, tell me what you think!