Sunday, September 5, 2010

Homemade Pasta could kill you

Yesterday we made homemade pasta and a meat sauce to die for. The sauce cooked for 12 hours, until the cheap piece of meat had cooked until it fell apart, the garlic melted into nothingness and even our two-toothed baby could take bites!

The kitchen is one area where I may eventually achieve domestic goddess status if I had the time. Perhaps when the children are a bit older. Anyway, the pasta. Fresh pasta is easier than you think. It's fast and costs pennies when you consider it. We use a recipe for basic pasta out of Jamie Oliver's Naked Chef cookbook. This book is superb for the beginner, or even a seasoned home cook.

Essentially, it's flour and egg. My husband and I decided to cut the recipe in half, so we did 2 cups flour with 3 eggs. Drop it in a bowl and either use a wooden spoon or your hand to mix the two together. Once incorporated, take it out and knead it on a flat surface for a few minutes until it's a nice smooth ball. Then your ready to roll it out or use a pasta maker (we prefer the non-motorized, but we're traditional) to get it thinner.


Homemade, fresh and delicious!
That made enough for our family of 5 with some leftover. We used half whole wheat, half AP and the pasta was amazing. Like silk! So good that my husband and I couldn't comprehend why we ever buy the dry stuff from the store! The baby uttered his only word, "Good!" with every bite!

2 comments:

  1. I heart this post! My mother makes a legendary pasta sauce (passed down from my grandmother) and making the pasta itself from scratch now seems like it is a must!

    I am enjoying your blog so far...cannot wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Yes, you must make it from scratch. It's too easy and delicious not to!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, tell me what you think!