Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My personal definition of a Domestic Goddess

OK, here's what I think a domestic goddess is, or should be, today. A relative mix of June Cleaver, Claire Huxtable and Elise Keaton (family ties).

I think holders of the DG title have to be good housekeepers, good cooks, good entertainers, good to their spouses, keep themselves relatively put together and be great parents.

Some of my household goals are (and the reality is):

- Keep a clean and tidy house (it's tidy at least 3 times a day, but not so clean!). Specifically, I'd like to have a weekly clean schedule that I always stick to, i.e. laundry on Mondays, Bathrooms on Tuesdays, Dust/Vacuum Wednesdays, etcetera, etcetera...
- Have organized closets (Currently I'd give myself a grade of C-)
- Always be on top of the laundry (completely failing most of the time... should be doing that now)
- Have menus planned out 3 days in advance (the real goal is a week, but I'm starting small since I typically plan them between 1 hour and 5 minutes in advance),
-Be crafty. I've always wanted to be one of those moms that could sew anything (I can only do buttons and socks)!

Enough of that depressing self-assessment! I'm a great cook, I bake wonderful bread, I'm good at loading the dishwasher efficiently, doing most any task one-handed (the other usually holding a baby), telling bed-time stories, making up songs, cracking-up my children and I manage to shower at least 5 times a week! Remember, I have a 5-year-old, a 4-year-old (on Thursday!) and a 1-year-old (next week!). As any mother of young children knows, showers are a true sign of accomplishment.

What's your definition of "domestic goddess"? Where do you excel and where do you want to improve? Let me hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, tell me what you think!