Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Live Life As If...

How would you finish that title? What is your motto in life? On the way to my store this morning, I was listening to an audio book by Deepak Chopra. When I heard him relay the advice of a psychologist to his patients, I felt an intense shift inside of me.

Before I tell you what he said, I'll preface why it touched me so deeply. For the past several months I've worked around the clock between 3 young children and the wine store my husband and I recently opened. I've felt scattered, anxious, tense, stressed as well as some very positive emotions as well! But I feel like an earthquake most of the time and I've been seeking a way to quiet my mind and better handle my load. Since I've very little time for leisurely reading, I've opted for audio books to listen to while I drive to and from the store, or wait for my girls to walk out their school doors. It's a few minutes here and there, but it's what I have.

The chapter Dr. Chopra was reading was about time. The cells in our bodies live timelessly, functioning nearly perfectly every minute of every day around the clock and calendar that means nothing to them. We can live better lives by ceasing to try and beat the clock. Instead, he recounted the aforementioned psychologist's advice, "Live every day as if you have all the time in the world."

Take a moment and repeat that in your mind. "Live every day as if you have all the time in the world." Feel it. Isn't it amazing? Isn't it liberating?

I was filled with this joy and peace that lasted all day... just until dinner time with the 3 monkeys! Even through the kiddie chaos I was able to hold on to a remnant of it and now that mealtime is over I have it back in my grasp. It feels so much better than the usual saying of living every day is if it is your last; feeling like you have to cram everything into one short moment. Instead, live every day as if you have all the time in the world. Cherish every moment. Be in every moment. Focus on each task instead of multi-tasking until there are bits and pieces of your mind in every corner of the world.

How do you live your life? How did you feel when you read the words that I find so transformative? I'd love to hear your thoughts and invite you to share this with a woman (ok, men too!) who would do well to slow down for a moment.

- DGMommy

PS: You can find the book here or likely at your local library (like me!)

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Found you through the blog hop! I agree- there is nothing more liberating than recognizing the freedom of the present! Followed your delicios looking blog ~ Jess (I always show up as my main character, Fairday Morrow- lol, haven't quite figured out how to fix that)
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting perspective, so different than what were used to hearing. I need to remember it in times of stress because really hurry these moments away can not be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that! I think so many people feel driven because of the culture we live and move in. It really leads to so many maladies that are not God's will. Look at Jesus- he was a great example of not stressing despite all the demands and expectations of those who surrounded him! Stopping in from On Your Heart Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, tell me what you think!