5. Out of granulated sugar? Replace it with brown sugar! Still tastes great, no change to texture.
4. Whole wheat flour works just as well as white and is much healthier for Santa and your little taste-testers.
3. Out of chocolate chips? Break up some baking chocolate into small pieces. The kids won't mind!
2. It is not necessary to taste the dough every 5 minutes. It doesn't change. Really.
And my number 1 tip when baking Christmas cookies, or during any season at all, is:
1. You do not have to eat one cookie from each batch just to be sure they came out alright! Honestly, they all taste pretty much the same!
Here is my super easy chocolate chip cookie recipe for your baking and tasting pleasure:
- Heat the oven to 375
- Stir sugar, butter, vanilla & egg until blended (use a mixer if you prefer)
- Stir in flour, baking soda & salt (a little less salt is ok too!)
- Add Chips & mix them evenly
- Drop balls of dough on cookie sheet
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes until light brown (cookies will appear browner if using whole wheat)
- Let cool